April 5, 2006

My movie backlog – Lombard, Dietrich, etc.

I’ve got movies coming out the wazoo these days. I managed to pick up some great films at Blockbuster of all places as “previously viewed” for $4.99 each, like: Marx Brothers A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, Stephen Fry’s Bright Young Things and Yimou Zhang’s (or Zhang Yimou, if you prefer) Raise the Red Lantern.

By the way … I highly recommend Bright Young Things. It’s a good film and includes a scene with Peter O’Toole that is hysterical.

I also had two Amazon orders arrive almost simultaneously. So both the 1956 and 1923 versions of Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments are on deck. And also arriving (and both now viewed) are Donavan’s Reef (a John Wayne flick) and Heaven Knows, Mr. Alison (Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr, two favourites, directed by John Huston). Of the two, I’ve got to go with Heaven Knows, Mr. Alison as the better film – by quite a bit. But more about that in another post.

Also arriving – Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection and Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection. Taken together (the Lombard and Dietrich sets), that’s 11 more movies! The upside is that those films tend to be about 70 to 90 minutes long each – which makes them suitable for double features.

The point is, I’ve got a lot of stuff to watch. Sonewhere between 15 and 20 films. Whether I get to write about it all remains to be seen. But I’ll be watching movies while the rest of you are watching American Idol. Ha!

Tag: , , ,

No comments: