February 12, 2006

What I’ve been watching

My posts seems to be very light on content and not terribly frequent these days. So it goes when life insists you pay the rent. But …

Earlier in the week I picked up (and watched) Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Anniversary Edition. While I’ve always liked the movie, it does have a few problems (like Mickey Rooney’s Japanese guy – not a great idea).

But you have to love Audrey Hepburn in this. And the quality of this disc seems pretty good so, given the price, it’s well worth picking this up.

I also watched A Very Long Engagement, which I personally like a lot more than Amelie, also directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and starring Audrey Tautou. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I can articulate why I liked it so much. I’ll try to figure it out.

Let’s see … what else? Well, Hustle & Flow was pretty darned good. I also watched The Gift (from 2000), which I liked quite a bit (I like most things with Cate Blanchett).

Also watched Educating Rita (1983) – a pretty film good though not as good as I remember. (I saw it way back when it came out and absolutely loved it. Time has taken some of the glow off for me, though.)

Finally … I’ve watched Cameron Crowe’s Elizabethtown – actually, I watched it twice. Although hugely flawed, I really liked it a lot – probably because it’s a type of movie I’m drawn to and I like Kirsten Dunst. But I do think the movie overcomes its flaws and works to a degree.

While it appears I've not been watching older movies recently (and I haven't), this should change soon. In the "on-deck circle"? Chaplin's City Lights (1931). And Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln (1939). So I'm excited.

Tag: , , ,

No comments: