January 22, 2006

My top DVDs of last year revised slightly

A while back I posted My Top Ten DVDs of 2005 … but I was rushed when I did it and hadn’t really given it the thought I should have. And there was one glaring omission. And that, of course, was Serenity.

How could I have missed that?

It’s easily my favourite film of last year. In fact, I spent Christmas watching Serenity and, afterwards, watching the Firefly series.

(Yes, I was compelled to pick up that DVD after seing the movie.)

What is it about Serenity that makes it so good? Well, like a really good TV series it yanks you into its characters and makes you want to know what’s happening to them. Also, despite being science fiction of sorts, it’s really a western – with all the clichés and romanticism and mythology that that implies.

It has action but, unlike some of the more idiotic action films, it knows that it’s most riveting element is its characters and so, even during action sequences, the film pauses for a line or two of dialogue that reinforces who the characters are and what their motivations are. It’s not just guys banging each other over the head and some razzle dazzle cinematic tricks.

More than anything else, though, it is just fun to watch. I’ve seen it three times now and I’m surprised that I’m not yet tired of it. I will likely watch it again soon.

I think it wins hands down as my favourite film of last year. I think it's the science fiction film I was always hoping the various Star Trek films might be.

Tag: , ,

No comments: