January 8, 2006

My Top Ten DVDs of 2005

Yes, I'm a little slow getting this up but better late than never.

As mentioned in previous years, more than anything else this reflects what I watched - it's as much gut based as it is critical. Maybe more so. I've watched all of these several times since getting them simply because I liked them. In some cases it's based primarily on the quality of the film though the quality of the DVD and it's overall packaging is often a factor too.

Which is why I think to To Kill A Mockingbird may have been the best DVD release of 2005. Quite apart from the merits of the film, the DVD and its packaging were superb as well. (On the other hand, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek is based strictly on the film - the DVD is a pretty good transfer but nothing to write home about in terms of the features or packaging, which are all but non-existent.) And in some cases, I put collections in as opposed to single movies because - well, they were great collections.

Again, in no particular order, my top ten DVDs of 2005:

- Bringing Up Baby (1938)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection (1935 - 1941)
- A Love Song for Bobby Long (2004)
- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)
- Million Dollar Baby (2004)
- The Complete Thin Man Collection (1934 - 1947)
- Crash (2004)
- To Kill A Mockingbird - Special Edition (Legacy Series) (1962)
- The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944)

Tag: , , , ,

No comments: