March 19, 2006

Lombard, Dietrich ... and John Ford?

Looking at some of the discs due to be released in the coming weeks and months, it seems clear companies like Warner Bros. are determined to keep me from paying off my mortgage. I mention Warner in particular because of some of their box sets and their planned HD-DVDs (due in April). Have a look at what's coming:

March 21:
- The Busby Berkeley Collection (Footlight Parade / Gold Diggers of 1933 / Dames / Gold Diggers of 1935 / 42nd Street)
- Stalag 17 (Special Collector's Edition)
- The Ten Commandments (50th Anniversary Edition)
April 4:
- Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection (Hands Across the Table/ Love Before Breakfast/ Man of the World/ The Princess Comes Across/ True Confession/ We're Not Dressing)
- Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection (Morocco/ Blonde Venus/ The Devil Is a Woman/ Flame of New Orleans/ Golden Earrings)
- Mae West: The Glamour Collection (Go West Young Man/ Goin' To Town/ I'm No Angel/ My Little Chickadee/ Night After Night)
We're Not Dressing)
- Films of Faith Collection (The Nun's Story / The Shoes of the Fisherman / The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima)
June 6:

The John Wayne-John Ford Collection - This a 10 disc set that features 8 movies from the team of John Ford and John Wayne, including ...
- The Searchers: Ultimate Collector’s Edition
- Stagecoach: Two Disc Special Edition
Although both of these have previously been available on DVD, it looks like now they will be getting the kind of disc treament they should have. I'm hoping these will look great - in the case of Stagecoach it will be restored and remastered from the best available film elements. But the collection will also include three films previously unavailable on DVD:
- Fort Apache (1948)
- The Long Voyage Home (1940)
- Wings of Eagles (1957)
From what I understand, many of the movies in The John Wayne-John Ford Collection will be available individually, however not all of them will be. You read more about this planned release and take a look at some of the artwork by a quick visit to DVD Times.

Tag: , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Bill said...

And I've already pre-ordered the Carole Lombard and Marlene Dietrich sets. Why? Because it's 11 discs, 11 movies for slightly less than the price of 2 DVDs regular DVDs. How could I pass that up?

And I love Carole Lombard. And pretty darned fond of Marlene Dietrich too!

The Siren said...

Oh, my mouth is watering for that Lombard collection. I haven't seen most of those. *rubs hands* And maybe I'll get the Dietrich collection too.

Bill said...

Yes, I am very anxious for these to arrive.