June 27, 2005

Bewitched is bewitching (the TV show, that is)

I picked up the first season of Bewitched and I'm loving it. (For what it's worth, I got the black and white version, the way it was originally made, rather than the colourized version. Geez, if you’re the kind of moron who insists that everything be in colour, why are you watching old television or old movies? You like it the way it was made or you don't.)

Anyway ... The series is essentially silly. It's a silly premise. The storylines are silly. And it's one of the few things I've seen recently that I actually laugh out loud as I watch. This is big - I don't normally laugh out loud.

Maybe you need to have a certain sense of humour to appreciate it. Maybe you simply have to be old enough to be acclimated to the period style (and it's very period, at least the first season is - it is SO early sixties).

But this first season of Bewitched makes me laugh. And good heavens, I absolutely love Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) and Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce, and later Sandra Gould) and her oblivious hubbie, Abner (George Tobias).

Just in case I haven't been very clear: I am absolutely loving Bewitched.

Tag: , ,

No comments: