June 5, 2005

The smooth, slapstick Archie Leach (aka Cary Grant)

Not sure why, but I decided to make a list of the Cary Grant movies I had in my file of reviews. I had more than I expected. As it turns out, I had also written them over a period in which I had changed things like layout. So there was a fair amount of inconsistency between some of them.

And that’s my long-winded way of saying what is listed here is only partial. Call it My List, Part I. It consists of the earlier Grant movies I’ve rambled about – 1937 to 1944. Of course, his movies that I’ve reviewed aren’t all the Cary Grant movies I have. And those ones I have are only a small number of the movies he actually made.

Yes, I’ve always been a Cary Grant fan. (Does it show?) By the way, when I rate movies it’s based on a 5 star system. Here’s my list (part one):

- Topper (1937) 4 stars
- The Awful Truth (1937) 4½ stars
- Bringing Up Baby (1938) 5 stars
- Gunga Din (1939) 4 stars
- My Favorite Wife (1940) 4 stars
- His Girl Friday (1940) 4½ stars
- Talk of the Town (1942) 3 stars
- Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) 4½ stars

(You know, I'm not sure I agree with some of those ratings now that I see them. Though I suppose they're roughly accurate, at least from my point of view. But with the exception of Talk of the Town, I'd sort of like to give them all 5 stars because I like them so much.)

Tag: , , ,

No comments: