June 26, 2005

Correcting my Tom Cruise post

I had to do an edit on my earlier post "Tom Cruise, Matt Lauer and a media muddle" because, frankly, I'm a lazy moron. Not paying attention, I confused the terms psychiatry and psychology, and they are not the same. (As a writer, I should be sent to my room with no supper for this.)

Online, you can find a number of definitions for the terms. From the EMHS Glossary of Medical Specialties, I found these:

Psychiatry
The study, treatment and prevention of mental disorders, including the prescription of drugs, by a medical doctor who specializes in human behavior.

Psychology
The care of behavioral and emotional problems by a professional other than a medical doctor through psychotherapy, counseling and psychoanalysis.

Anyway ... I stand self-corrected.

Tag: ,

No comments: