May 17, 2005

The Americanization of Emily - problems with satire

I watched the second of the three movies I picked up the other day. It was The Americanization of Emily (1964). And while I really wanted to like, and even liked parts of it, and while I really like Julie Andrews and James Garner ... ah, it just didn't fly with me.

There are good parts to the movie but as a whole it doesn't gel.

I wrote a review of it and as I say there, the satire wrestles with the romantic story and between the two they kind of cancel each other out.

As a general rule, I don't like satire. I seldom find it satisfying. If it isn't telling me what I want to hear, it's hopelessly tedious. When it does tell what I want to hear (like this movie, Emily), it tends to be long-winded. I get impatient for an engaging story. And satire doesn't usually deliver in this respect because a good story relies on good characters and satire tends to depend on caricatures.

Anyway ... There are good moments in The Americanization of Emily but not enough to prompt me to give it a whole-hearted endorsement. At best, I'd give it a wishy-washy, "It's okay. You could do worse."

Tag: , , ,

No comments: